The latest report on the distribution of wealth compiled by Oxfam, a non-governmental organization based in London, highlights increasing inequality. The difference is abysmal: according to the document of the NGO, 1% of the population owns what the remaining 99% and the gap is likely to increase.
We must take note of these data and to admit that the economic model which regulates the globe is not sustainable. The situation continues to deteriorate and, in the long term, will necessarily lead to an implosion of the economic system.
Among the various forms that capitalism has over time assumed, that of today is certainly the most powerful and pervasive. The large corporation is close to replacing the state authority, relegated to administrative tool. Just look at the Facebook phenomenon, Amazon or Google. The corporate business extends to virtually all sectors of the economy; CEOs are received with a ceremony similar to that of heads of state; their presence is capillary at every single moment of existence.
Surely, the great responsibility of this growing discrepancy can be attributed to governments, too lascivious and ductile in taxation management and determining the working conditions and salaries. But also the individual’s attitude, which has lent itself to take on the characteristics of consumer goods, it is equally to be condemned. Even the phenomenon of migration, analyzed from an economic point of view, it contributes to the spread of this situation, allowing through lower wage a wider profit margin.
This is not envy or lust for power, it is about survival. And slowly it feels that the chair on which you are sitting is slipping away. Of course it’s stupid having to think about returning to a subsistence model, not necessarily necessary to cut away the bought-being. Can you think of a collective welfare economic model and a reduced poverty level to a minimum? Yes, but only in the presence of a strong and steady state component, that knows how to put a limit to the concentration of wealth and the spread of inequality and exploitation.